It's gonna' be a great year. 2017 was great, but 2018 is gonna' be even greater. I believe this to be true because I have a one-word theme to guide me. Though I've heard of people using a one-word theme to inspire them during a particular year, I've never tried it myself. But as I sat down to set my goals this year, I knew needed something different. I needed focus. I needed a theme. With that said...
MY THEME IS ROUTINE.
2018 is going to be the year of developing healthy routines in each of the major areas of my life. Don't get me wrong, I had routines in 2017, but many of them were unhealthy.
- Checking social media first thing in the morning.
- Checking social media right before I go to bed.
- Finishing my sermons early Sunday morning.
- Throwing my clothes on the floor at the end of the day.
- Checking shoe websites, daily, looking for deals on Jordans.
Though there was nothing inherently evil about any of these routines, the fact of the matter is, these routines were counterproductive to me becoming the type of man I am capable of becoming.
These unhealthy routines prevented me from being disciplined in my study of God's Word, self-controlled in my spending habits, excellent on my job, and organized at home. These routines were destructive.
But today, that all changes. Instead of my routines being developed by default, in 2018 they will develop by design.
- Reading the Bible and journaling.
- Reading a book and writing.
- Stretching, push-ups, and sit-ups
- Flossing my teeth and fixing my bed.
- Praying with my wife.
- Filling in my productivity planner.
What I love about these routines is that regardless of the political climate, economy, social ills, and craziness that is happening all around me, these are the things I can control. These are the habits I can develop. These are the disciplines that, compounded over time, will result in a great life!
No money is needed. No training is needed. No help is needed. All I need is focus and determination, and on this first day of the year, I have a whole lot of both!
Here's to a great 2018. The year of ROUTINE.