I am feeling very strongly compelled to, before this year is over, preach a sermon series on the topic of pride. Here are the ideas about the topic swirling around in my head thus far:
WHY DO I WANT TO PREACH ON PRIDE?
- Pride stunts growth.
- Pride prevents repentance.
- Pride sabotages relationships.
- Pride causes denial.
- Pride fuels self-righteousness.
- Pride blurs wisdom.
- Pride angers God.
WHY AM I HESITANT TO PREACH ON PRIDE?
- As someone who struggles with pride myself, who am I to teach on how to overcome it?
- Helping people become self-aware of their pride is difficult, and once one is self-aware of their pride, it is the last thing they want to admit to be true and work on.
- Doing a word/topic study on pride, in the Scriptures, is a long, arduous task.
WHAT ARE THE QUESTIONS I HAVE ABOUT PRIDE?
- Where does it come from?
- How does it grow?
- What are the tell-tale signs that one has it?
- What is the antidote?
- Why is it so hard to see in yourself?
- What are practical steps people can take to become less prideful?
- How should the Gospel free us from our unhealthy pride?
- Who are the Biblical characters who exemplify pride most clearly?
- Who are the Biblical characters who exemplify humility most clearly?
- What are the tangible evidences of a community of faith that is more humble than proud?
If you are aware of books, sermons, blog posts, or any other resources that can help me answer these questions, please let me know in the comments below. I would greatly appreciate it!