Since returning from my summer sabbatical, God has been requiring of me that I give honor to others in ways that I, if I'm being honest, am not the most comfortable with. Here are a few things I'm learning:
- Honor communicates gratitude.
- Honor attributes value.
- Honor should be extended when it is earned.
- Honor doesn't have to be earned to be extended. (Respect is earned, honor is extended.)
- Honor should be given both privately and publicly.
- Honor, when not given privately first, is disingenuous.
- Honor requires humility because it's not about you.
- Honor is a form of dying to self.
- Honor is a way you become less so someone else can become more.
- Honor shows preference for someone other than yourself.
- Honor, when reciprocated, feels great.
- Honor, when not reciprocated, feels lousy.
- Honor can't be given expecting anything in return.
- Honor strengthens the body of Christ.
- Honor honors God.
Who might God be requiring of you to honor?